Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The philanderer

So I was writing this English essay about "Hedda Gabler" when I realized that I had used the word "philanderer" about eight times. But I couldn't think of a synonym. I sat there for like ten minutes agonizing over it, but really I just wanted to type "man-whore" and see if the teacher said anything.

Finally I just tried to look up a synonym, but Microsoft Works has like a freaking PG Thesaurus and it doesn't have an entry for anything vaguely dirty. So I sat there for ANOTHER ten minutes looking up every word for "whore" that I could think of.

And then I realized, this is totally the weirdest essay I've ever written.



(As a matter of interest, I finally settled on the word "womanizer").

1 comment:

Marshall said...

OMG, i have a used copy of "death of a salesman" that's pre-annotated. It cracks me up, because every now and then the person writes something like "Biff and Happy are such man-whores!" (actual quote, btw)
i love it!


totally irrelevant note: that word verification thing this time spells "stalita". It has a nice ring to it.